Saturday, May 25, 2013

Sky simulation for dome theater




Wow, long time since I've wrote something here, sorry for that. University is keeping me busy :)
One of things I've been working on is this sky simulation for a dome theater at Visualiseringscenter in Norrköping, along with my classmates Aron Tornberg and Sebastian Piwell. It's done with C++, OpenGL and the library SGCT.

SGCT distributes the workload to 6 different nodes, one for every projector. You can read more about it in the link above. I wrote an external GUI in C# for easy tweaking of some parameters.

All the viewports for the dome projection

Fisheye projection
As the screenshots shows, performance is kind of slow on my laptop, but this is work in progress without any optimizations. Besides, the method we use for the clouds is kinda brute force. This probably won't be a problem in the dome theater, since every node renders a relatively small part of the sky.

I'll update/create a new post with more details once we have finished this. I'll try and get some footage from the dome theater as well :)

Additional credit:
Miroslav Andel, for all the support concerning SGCT

No comments:

Post a Comment